|Color:||Yellow (with olive green holes)|
|Eye Color:||Blue (Green in Selling Out)|
|Address:||124 Conch Street, Downtown Bikini Bottom, Pacific Ocean|
|Occupation(s):||Fry cook at The Krusty Krab, has also been a cashier, waiter and manager|
Manager of The Krusty Krab 2[e]Creator and short term owner of the Pretty Patties Store; owner of the Krusty Krab[e]Mayor of New Kelp City[e]
Manager of Krusty Krab[e], and Shiny Object Collector of The Krusty Krab(SpongeBob SquarePants Battle for Bikini Bottom the Video Game).
|Family & Friends|
|Family:||Margaret SquarePants (mother)Harold SquarePants (father)Grandma SquarePants (grandmother)|
Grandpa SquarePants (grandfather)
Sherm SquarePants (uncle) Stanley S. SquarePants (cousin) BlackJack SquarePants (cousin) Todd SquarePants (cousin) Captain Blue Sqaurepants (uncle) SpongeBuck SquarePants (great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather) Primitive Sponge (ancestor) SpongeGar (ancestor) SpongeBob's Grandson Junior] (Spongebob and Patrick's adopted child)
|Friends:||Patrick Star (best friend)Squidward Tentacles (Usually)Sandy Cheeks
Larry the Lobster
Old Man Jenkins
|Pet(s):||Gary (snail)Mrs. Wormsley[e]|
|Employer:||Mr. Krabs, Plankton (Welcome to the Chum Bucket), Squidward (Squilliam Returns), Carl (Selling Out)|
|Enemies:||Sheldon J. Plankton(sometimes)Squidward Tentacles (Sometimes)Flats the Flounder|
|Interests:||Jellyfishing at Jellyfish Fields, Music, blowing bubbles, Krabby Patty flipping at the Krusty Krab, dancing, hanging out at Goo Lagoon, sandboarding, Karate, reading, spending time with his friends|
|Education:||Currently in Mrs. Puff's Boating School|
|Awards:||Several hundred consecutive Employee Of The Month Awards, Many of Awards[e] and 75 Good Noodle Stars, 14 Nice Awards|
|First appearance:||Sonic Crazy|
|First appearance in Spongebob Squarepants:||"Help Wanted"|
SpongeBob SquarePants (born July 14, 1986) is the main protagonist and the eponymous character of the Nickelodeon animated comedy of the same name. He was designed by marine biologist and animator Stephen Hillenburg, and is voiced by Tom Kenny. SpongeBob's a childish, joyful, eccentric sea sponge who lives in a pineapple in the underwater city of Bikini Bottom. He works as a fry cook at The Krusty Krab, a job which he is exceptionally skilled at. SpongeBob lacks a lot of knowledge and is a constant annoyance to those around him (especially Squidward Tentacles), but he is very good natured. He appears in all of the episodes in the series. He was soon Nickelodiens main masscot.
SpongeBob is a very clueless, abnormal, immature, and hyperactive character with a happy-go-lucky personality. He is an extremely determined person, and will often stop at nothing to accomplish a task. He is also somewhat dramatic to the people who are kind to him, for example, to the Mailfish. [e] He is also very Over-confident.
He also sometimes tends to make a big deal of small problems, such as losing his name tag. [e]
SpongeBob can't detect lies or malice information as easier as the other characters, mainly due to his naive nature. He is also scared of the dark.
SpongeBob is very kind-hearted and innocent, and very rarely acts openly mean to anyone, even his enemies. He is a very selfless and loyal person, especially towards those close to him. His selfless nature is most notably shown in "Best Day Ever", where he sacrifices his "perfect day" to help his friends. Despite his well-meaning intentions, SpongeBob's actions often annoy and cause trouble for those around him, most notably his next-door neighbor, Squidward Tentacles.
SpongeBob's innocence also makes him overly trusting and very gullible, and he is easily manipulated by people who intend to use and/or harm him, such as Squidward, Mr. Krabs and Plankton; most noticeably, he is always easily fooled by Plankton no matter how bizarre or obvious his disguises. Even though he's generally good-natured and easygoing, when frustrated and angered, SpongeBob can be sarcastic, rude and 'foul-mouthed' to his friends, even Mr. Krabs, whom he treats as a father figure/deity. Ironically, the funny fact is, Squidward is the only character that SpongeBob never insults when he's angry, with the exception of the episode, "Breath of Fresh Squidward".
Abilities and talentsEdit
Like many other cartoon characters, SpongeBob has been shown to have numerous extraordinary abilities and attributes over the course of the series.
- Soft Pliable Body: Due to his soft, pliable frame, he is capable of shape shifting, has some degree of invulnerability, being able to absorb any type of physical impact, shown most notably in the episode.
- Regeneration: It is shown that he can quickly regenerate parts of his body that are injured or removed.
- Boneless: SpongeBob is usually shown to be boneless (sea sponges being invertebrates) however in some episode like I Had an Accident are shown on its X-rays.
- Absorbent: Being a sponge, he is also absorbent, and can expand his body by absorbing liquids. When he cries, he often re-absorbs his tears.
- Singing and Nose Playing: SpongeBob is shown to possess a fantastic singing voice. He uses his nose as a flute, which he is very good at.
Despite all of these abilities, SpongeBob is shown to be very weak physically;
- Lack of Strength: He uses stuffed animals as "weights" in his personal exercise room; he struggles to lift a small wooden branch with marshmallows on the ends. He is unable to lift a drinking straw or a cup filled with juice. However, like many aspects of the show, his strength (or lack, thereof) is highly inconsistent between episodes, and he has been shown to have considerable strength on various occasions. He is revealed to have an incredibly muscled body when he fights Patrick.
- Karate Expert: SpongeBob also has some mastery of karate, but is always different in each episode. In some episodes, he is shown to be a highly skilled fighter, being able to equal or even outmatch Sandy on occasion. However, in most of the series, he is shown to only be playful with karate, as he is usually beaten by Sandy.
- Intelligence: Though typically seen (at least by Squidward) as exceedingly infantile and stupid, SpongeBob has been shown to be extremely talented in many fields, even sometimes having a high intellect. In fact, driving a boat is one of the few things SpongeBob is bad at. When he puts his mind to a task, he can accomplish anything, he spent ages constructing a circle of stone statues that produce a sound identical to his voice, simply to lure the jellyfish away from him. He is able to become a master of fancy dining by removing everything from his mind except "fine dining and breathing". Thanks to his vivid imagination, SpongeBob has in various episodes been shown to be superior to Squidward as an artist; he effortlessly produces a perfect rendition of Michelangelo's David, adept with a shell to block his genitalia. SpongeBob actually produces an exact replica of the interior of Squidward's house right down to Squidward's medicine cabinet and artwork, the latter of which Squidward admits are actually better than his own. SpongeBob also possesses a vast knowledge of subjects he is interested in, such as Jellyfishing, Krabby Patties and their history, and boating (thanks to years of education in boating school).
SpongeBob's best friend and neighbor.
- Main article: Patrick-SpongeBob Relationship
Also SpongeBob's best friend. Many fans speculate whether they have crushes on each other. In "Truth or Square", when SpongeBob was trapped in the freezer, he remembered a marriage between Sandy and himself; however, it was only a stage show and not an actual marriage.
- Main article: SpongeBob-Sandy relationship
Mr. Krabs' daughter and a distant friend of SpongeBob.
- Main article: SpongeBob-Pearl relationship
SpongeBob's neighbor and friend (but only to his dismay).
- Main article: Squidward-SpongeBob Relationship
SpongeBob's employer/boss and friend.
- Main article: SpongeBob-Mr. Krabs Relationship
SpongeBob's pet snail and Best friend.
- Main article: SpongeBob-Gary Relationship
A self proclaimed professional burger joint critic, Bubble Bass once visited the Krusty Krab and falseified a complaint about Spongebob forgeting to put pickles on a Krabby Patty. This causes Sponge Bob to go into a slump of not knowing how anything works. It took intervention from Mr. Krabs to snap him out of it and re-confront Bass at the Krusty Krab. The second time Spongebob gave him a Krabby Patty, Bass tried the same complaint about there being no pickles. But SpongeBob noticed Bass hid the pickles from both pattys served to him under his tounge (along with a female fishes boat keys) Under pressure he ran away from the Krusty Krab and was rarely seen again in Bikini Bottom except during a period where Mr. Krabs decided to expand the Krusty Krab empire into multiple restaraunts(see SpongeBob Diner Dash).
The owner of the Chum bucket SpongeBob has assisted Mr. Krabs in stopping some of Planktons more notable and elaborate schemes (such as the Great train caper). His first encounter with Plankton involved him being mind controled by him so he would "hand deliver" the Krabby patty fomula to him "personally".